You've made the step to go natural *high-fives*, we are proud of you! Then you may or may not know already that a natural rubber mat is a more sensitive and delicate than a synthetic mat. So you'll need to show it more love to ensure it lasts as long as possible.
First let's understand why rubber mats are more sensitive. Well it is a natural material. We source our rubber sustainably from Malaysia, and as with all rubber it will eventually dry out. Take your windshield wipers for example --that's rubber-- you will need to replace your wipers every so often because the rubber dries up, and will no longer be pliable after a while. The same principal is true for our natural rubber yoga mats. Eventually the mat will dry up and loose its grippiness. This is a fact of life, just like how the sky is blue and the grass is green :)
However, we can prolong this significantly. On average our MADANA rubber mats will last 3-4 years. Although we know of some MADANA yogis who have been using our mats for over 5 years and it's still going strong!
Here are some great tips for you to prolong the lifespan of your natural rubber mat:
1) Keep your mat clean but don't over do the cleaning. Clean your mat once a week or after 4-5 practice sessions
2) Make sure to use a liquid soap, like a hand, floor or all-purpose cleaner
3) Don't use any chemicals to clean your mat. Use an all natural or eco-friendly soap
4) NEVER USE DETERGENT/WASHING POWDER. The rubber will react to the detergent and make your mat super sticky (in a bad way)
5) Make sure your mat is 100% dry before rolling
6) Keep in a cotton breathable bag when not in use
7) Keep out of the sun and away from a window. The UV rays can still reach the mat even if it's not in direct sunlight
8) If you like to use an essential oil mat spray, you can use it to "refresh" your mat, but we don't recommend using it to clean your mat
Follow these steps and we guarantee you your natural rubber mat will stay with you for a long time.